Monday, February 2, 2009

Yes, I own a ThinkPad

I really liked this article about the HP Jornada...an old old laptop that this reporter uses for taking notes which has an extremely long battery life.

I have a ThinkPad R51 and I purchased it as a refurbished model. This thing runs great and even though it's approaching 6 years old it's still durable as the day it was made (the same can't be said about other laptops, eh Jocelyne?)

This leads me to think about the next evolution of mobile computing...namely netbooks. Are they really useful? Are they even a good buy? These netbooks are the newest craze on campus and I've asked some owners what they like about it. It's great for taking notes, but irritating to surf the net (ironically) due to its small size. There's a lot of side-scrolling, apparently.

Then I remember an article where I recall Mike Lazaridis (Co-CEO and Founder of Research In Motion) said, among other fun things, that the BlackBerry Storm is a netbook. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I guess the big difference besides a Dell or Asus netbook and the Storm is a 9" vs 3" screen...and the cool clickability of the SurePress screen.

No comments: